Friday, February 16, 2007

Mammoth discussions

So, I'm sitting at the computer running through a pathology tutorial and suddenly the conversation turns to God (can't remember how), and there's like five of us all chatting about it for about 2-3 hours, totally out of the blue. Gotta say my head was tired by the end, but it was fun; the biggest thing I think I realised was the mistrust people have for the Bible, or any other historical source for that matter - not a firm conviction that they don't believe it, but that skeptical epistemology - i can never be sure enough to make a decision based on something I read that I haven't seen. Which leads me to two things; firstly, I need to pray that some revelation comes their way, because it's that nudge from God that gets people to really read something critically and think about it - it's very easy to have opinions on things without having read anything; in a recent survey in Australia, 91% of those surveyed had an opinion about who Jesus was, but only 10% had ever read a gospel; secondly, I should do some more reading on epistemology/Wittgenstein etc, cos it is quite confusing and is a fairly dominating philosophy of knowledge in people's minds. Watch this space...

No comments: